The idea for a “Smartphone” was conceptualized as early as 1973 by Theodore George Paraskevakos introduced combing intelligence, data processing and visual display screens with telephones. The first Smartphone was created in 1994 but the term was not officially coined until 1997 by a Swedish Corporation known as Ericsson. Here’s some more interesting and fun facts about Smartphones.
1) Android Smartphones are currently the most popular in Japan with more than more than 55% of its users in the country vs. 39% for the Apple iPhone. In other countries Android’s popularity includes 41% in New Zealand, 40% in the United States and more than 38% in China but unfortunately it does not dominate in any other surveyed country except Argentina.
2) However, the Apple iPhone has a substantial lead in Switzerland with more than 52% iPhone users vs. 23% of Android users. Other countries where the Apple iPhone is extremely popular is Australia where 49% are iPhone users vs. 25% of Android users, Canada has 45% of iPhone users vs. 23% of Android users and 23% of Blackberry users and France has 43% of iPhone users vs. 25% of Android users. Android continues to be the most popular Smartphone operating system, with 38 percent of Smartphone consumers owning Android devices. However, while Android also leads among those who recently purchased a new Smartphone, it is the Apple iPhone that has shown the most growth in recent months.
3) More than $187.51 is spent on manufacturing Smartphones including Android and the Apple iPhones. The screen and the memory are the most expensive components of a Smartphone and more than 1 billion Smartphones are expected to be used worldwide by 2016.
4) More than 90% of applications that are downloaded are not used more than 10 times,61% of Smartphones are used for games and more than 9% have downloaded a health or fitness applications.
5) More than 68% of Smartphone users have accessed maps on a Smartphone is via an application, more than 27% of the 4 billion mobile phones worldwide are Smartphones. Other interesting facts include more than 25% of Smartphone owners go online mostly on their phones and 35% of adults in the United States own a Smartphone.
6) According to Gartner Group mobile devices will pass PCs as the access device of choice by 2013. 53% of mobile users would share their location to receive more relevant ads. More than 50% of mobile users watch 3 hours and 37 minutes of video on their phones per month according to Neilsen and more than a 1/3 of American teenager’s text at least 100 times per day.
7) There are more than 1.08 billion Smartphone users in the world, out of which, 91.4 million are from the United States. With more than five billion mobile phone users in the world, 1.08 billion are Smartphone users. Of those 1.08 billion users more than 89% of Smartphone users use their smart phones throughout the day, more than 92% of Smartphone users use their Smartphone to send text messages to other phones and more than 84% of users use their Smartphones for browsing the Internet.
8) More than 62% of United States Smartphone users are between the ages of 25-34 years old, 50% of Android Smartphones and 43% of Apple iPhone users are younger than 34 years old and 53% of Smartphone users are male and 47% are female.
9) The average Android Smartphone users consume the highest amount of data at 582 Mbs a month, while iPhone4S owners on consume 492 Mbs of data a month on average. Whereas Apple iPhone users download the maximum applications per month, which is 48Mbs. Downloading applications is the most popular data usage activity for smartphone users. Singapore has the highest Smartphone application rate.
10) On an average day a Smartphone users will spend 25 minutes browsing the Internet, 17 minutes on Facebook or other social networking websites, 13 minutes a day playing games or downloading applications, 16 minutes listening to music, 11 minutes making phone calls, 10 minutes text messaging and 3 minutes taking photographs.